While different types of foods demand very specific types of packaging and labelling requirement, there are a few factors which shall be kept in mind for all kinds of food products. They are as follows:
· All containers shall be securely packed and sealed;
· The exterior of the cans shall be free from major dents, rust, perforations and seam distortions;
· The packaged cans shall be free from leaks.
· The label must not contain information about the food that could be deemed to be false, misleading, and deceptive or otherwise create an erroneous impression regarding the product.
· The label must contain nutritional information about the products such as energy value in ‘kal’, the amounts of protein, carbohydrate (specify the quantity of sugar) and fat in ‘gram’ or ‘ml’ and lastly, the amount of any other nutrient for which a nutrition or health claim is made.
· The label(s) of the food product must also contain the following:
Ø Vegetarian or non-vegetarian symbol.
Ø Information Relating to Food Additives, Colours and Flavours
Ø Name and Complete Address of the Manufacturer
Ø Net Quantity
Ø Lot Number of Batch Identification
Ø Date of Manufacture or Packing
Ø Country of Origin for Imported Food.
Ø Instructions for Use